Overlooked, untold and almost forgotten – Urban Gad, film pioneer
03. sep 2021. Would Asta Nielsen have become an international star without Urban Gad? Sorry, Urban who? We’ll never be able to answer that first question. The answer to the second question — well, you can find it
Asta Nielsen: A Cosmopolitan Diva
23. jun 2021. PEER REVIEWED. This article examines how Asta Nielsen’s star persona developed in the Danish context in 1913, applying a transmedia perspective. The analysis covers the German film 'Die Suffragette'
The fascination of silent film
THEME. Five prominent fans of silent films share enthusiastic recommendations.
Crime and Punishment – Silent crime stories from the vaults
THEME. In the Danish silent era, not unlike today, crime films were all the rage. Peter Schepelern guides you through.
Asta Nielsen – #Bosslady
THEME. If Asta Nielsen had died only recently, we would be wearing t-shirts with her name emblazoned across our chests. We would sip our morning coffee from cups graced with her dark-rimmed staring
On the ‘Danishness’ of Danish Films in Germany until 1918
15. jan 2020. PEER REVIEWED. In Wilhelminian society, Denmark and Danishness were mostly constructed as part of a ‘north’ and a northernness sharing a deeply-rooted kinship with Germany, but at the same time as a
The brightest stars of early Danish film
THEME. It wasn’t just Ole Olsen’s ambition that made early Danish silent film a global phenomenon—another major factor was a unique constellation of talented Danish film actors who appealed to both
The Silent Art
THEME. A century ago Danish cinema was world leading. Now we digitize and re-vitalize Danish silent film heritage, telling stories from the time when Asta Nielsen, Valdemar Psilander and Pat &
Garrison, Star of the Russian Screen
06. mar 2017. PEER REVIEWED. In Russia, Valdemar Psilander rose to stardom under the name of Garrison. This article details Nordisk Film and Psilander’s rise and fall in Russia prior to and during the First World
"The Arbiter of Elegance": Psilander’s Stardom and Elite-Oriented Film Culture in Rio de Janeiro
06. mar 2017. PEER REVIEWED. This article examines how Valdemar Psilander’s stardom in Brazil built on the risqué reputation of Nordisk’s erotic melodramas and tapped into persistent links between moviegoing and